Believing the Unbelievable: The Clash Between Faith and Reason in the Modern World with Sam Harris speaking at the 2007 Aspen Ideas Festival.
Some of the most inspired and provocative thinkers, writers, artists, business people, teachers and other leaders drawn from myriad fields and from across the country and around the world all gathered in a single place – to teach, speak, lead, question, and answer at the 2006 Aspen Ideas Festival. Throughout the week, they all interacted with an audience of thoughtful people who stepped back from their day-to-day routines to delve deeply into a world of ideas, thought, and discussion.
Three Typical Attempts to Mount a Defense of Religion
- A specific religion is true
- Religion is useful… to the point of being necessary.
- Atheism is essentially another religion
- Harris Opening Religion
- Truthfulness of Religion
- Problems with Miracle Stories
- Usefulness of Religion
- History of Slavery
- Unequal Treatment of Women
- Dogma of Atheism
- Misunderstandings of Atheism
- Legacy of History
- Q & A